SCP-990 is a Keter-class SCP object. It is known on the Foundation site as "Dream Man".
Description[edit | edit source]
SCP-990 is generally a human male dressed in a Cold War-era business suit who appears to Foundation personnel through dreams. Thus far no Foundation personnel have encountered SCP-990 in the real world; if he corresponds to an actual human being, we have yet to find him. Presently there have been no reports of SCP-990 appearing to non-Foundation personnel.
In-game[edit | edit source]
SCP-990 does not appear in-game. However, upon loading the game, if the player encounters the "CWM" loading screen, audio clips of SCP-990 will play. These audio clips will contain quotes of SCP-990 talking to the player as if they were in a dream.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
While the map is loading
- "You look afraid. Don't be afraid. This is a dream, the last dream you may ever have, for nightmares are coming."
Once the map has finished loading
- "I wouldn't want to wake up, but unfortunately, you must."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The audio clips for SCP-990 were done by TheVolgun.
- Before v0.7.2, a mysterious figure would occasionally appear in the background of the loading screen. The figure was often speculated to be either SCP-990 or a member of "Nobody".
- The audio files for SCP-990 in the game's files have the extension .cwm. These files can be converted to .ogg by changing the file extension if one wishes to listen to them outside the game.
- SCP-990 is primarily considered Keter not because he can harm, but instead because he poses a serious risk about the releasing of information about the Foundation and so risking to break its anonymity. It's also unclear as to whether he causes the incidents to happen or merely predicts them.
- SCP-990's nickname "The Dream Man" May be a possible nod to G-Man from the Half-Life series. Under inspection, both wear suits, both have eerie voices about "Waking Up", and both appear in their late 40's.
- In the early versions of the game, if the player remains idle at the pause screen for too long, the screen would unpause and SCP-990 can be heard saying "Stop Hiding..." however this can still happen when opening the pause screen
- SCP-990 scrambles the loading screen's description and code name (i.e SCP-173). Every time you encounter this SCP in the loading screen, the description of it changes, with two documented examples being, "Look my friend in the eye when you address him, isn't that the way of the gentleman?" and "Jorge has been expecting you". It is still unclear who he is referring to in these quotes, though it is possible that 'his friend' is the Jorge from the second quote
- Occasionally SCP-990 will change his loading screen's description to say, "It will happen on (DATE)", with (DATE) being replaced by the present date in real life, e.g. "It will happen on March 16th, 2020." It's currently unknown what exactly SCP-990 is implying will happen on that date, although it's possible he is referring to the containment breach.
- Another documented example of the description changing is when the description would read "This place will burn to the ground"